Sunday, March 25, 2007

Training 3/19 - 3/25 and Sedalia Half Marathon

Mon- Rocky Fork Conservation Area, 4 mi, 34:13, 8:33/mi

Tues- Dave's Devil Run, 6.6 mi, 48:10, 7:18/mi
Felt very strong.

Evening: upper body weights, 47 min

Wed- Rest

Thurs- Rain Run Course, 7.5, 1:05:08, 8:41/mi
Very easy effort.

Fri- Rest

Sat- Sedalia Half Marathon
Saturday I ran the 25th Annual Sedalia Half marathon in Sedalia, MO. I didn’t really sleep well the past 2 nights but somehow woke up feeling rested. We left home around 6:45 AM to pick up a couple other runners on the way. We checked in, used the restrooms, and warmed up for about 10 minutes. Last year the temp was around 38F when we started but this year, it was 68F, the warmest temp I’ve run so far this year.

There were 123 runners this year and I decided to attempt 1:25 again this year. Last year I ran the course in 1:26:48. My first mile last year was a little fast so I decided to try to start slower this year and run the first mile in about 6:40. This is an out and back course with a small extra loop at the beginning that we don’t run on the way back. I held myself back on the first mile and first split was 6:43. At this point, I was hoping to hold pace between 6:30 – 6:37/mi. The next 4 miles were on target and I felt pretty good and passed several runners. Then I slowed a bit in mile 6 to 6:55 and didn’t feel that I was going to be able to pick up the pace so tried to hang on.

Miles 7 and 8 were a little faster with some downhill. The course is fairly flat, but the elevation still changed 50 feet throughout the course and there were some long inclines. There was also some wind on the course which is pretty typical for every year I have ran this race. Mile 9 was my slowest and I knew I wasn’t going to meet my goal at this point. Miles 10 – 13 were all close to 7 min. I figured that I was going to be passed by someone but didn’t look back. I don’t recall anyone passing me.

Here's my splits:


Overall time: 1:29:35, 6:50/mi (my slowest for this course)

I wasn’t very consistent and M5, 8-13 were all far off from where I wanted to be. The pace after mile 4 was not sustainable. Although my heart rate only averaged 156, later in the race it was in the 160s. I average about 155 for a marathon. Hugh didn’t meet his goal today either, but he ran 1:51 and seemed in good shape at the finish. I’d guess heat was a factor as well as not really doing any speed work. I drank at every water station, but felt pretty dehydrated at the end. I drank 2 bottles of water and my mouth still felt dry.

After the race, there were yummy blue berry muffins and bananas to eat while we waited for the awards ceremony. I placed 14th overall of 123, but really didn’t expect an award in my age group 30 – 39. They decided to go 6 deep in my age group and I placed 5th so I took home another glass brick.

I’ve posted my GPS data from the course which includes a map and elevation chart. The splits are different than my watch.

Hugh had an interesting encounter with a ”Psycho Runner”
that was trying to pass him. Hugh kept speeding up trying to get away from this guy. The guy was swearing at him calling him names, and saying “I’m coming for you sweetie”, and when he passed him told him he was slacking.

We forgot to bring the camera, but they had a photographer taking lots of pictures this year.

Bothwell representative telling us about suspicious moles.

Andy near the turn around point.

Hugh near the turn around point.Andy's Glass Brick for 5th in age group 30 - 39This is the shirt that I was awarded a few weeks ago along with a gift certificate to Tryathletics for the 2006 Columbia Track Club Serial Competition

More Pictures from the race.

Sun- Rockbridge State Park, 23.5 mi, 4:19:52, 11:03/mi
I took it really easy with the long run. I wasn’t sure if I was going to do 16 or attempt more. I started out across the road in the Gans Creek area and ran 8 miles Stopped at the car for a drink and headed over to the Devils Ice box side. I ran one loop and headed back to the car where I drank the rest of my water. It was 79F but didn’t feel too bad since it was cloudy and wind in some areas. Before I headed out for the 3rd loop, Kurt, another runner that runs with my Sat. group, was at the parking lot and I ran mile 16 – 20 with him and then we went our separate ways. He’s getting over a calf injury and wanted to avoid the hills. Very enjoyable run, but glad for it to be over. My legs felt like jelly by the time I finished. I had no water left at the car and had to wait until I got home.

I have elevation data that I’m going to upload later for this run.

Running: 54.7 mi

Weight-lifting: 47 min

YTD Running: 673.8

April 14th-Jay Dix Challenge to a Cure
April 21st-Show Me-State Games Stampede 5K
May 19th-Berryman Trail Marathon
September 3rd-Heart of America Marathon